Tidied Triple Clamps

Insanely tight… No, sadly I’m not referring to a type of niche pornography… I’m talking about just how ludicrously secure the right fork top-nut was fastened. After hurling considerable verbal profanity and calling in a favour from Lou Ferrigno, she came loose.

Fork Top-Nut Removal

Fork Top-Nut Removal

The left fork top-nut and steering stem top-nut both loosened with ease which was a relief considering the right fork top-nut incurred a small amount of cosmetic damage during its removal (fortunately I was able to utilise the grinding wheel, linisher and wire wheel to clean up the evidence of this struggled removal).

Triple Clamps Looking Haggard

Triple Clamps Looking Haggard

With the top-clamp freed I was able to get on with cleaning it up. I sandblasted back the paint, dirt and age-old grit; I then got to polishing up the sandblasted part on the wire wheel to bring it up to a dull shine. Prior to re-installing the top-clamp, I intend to bring it up to a higher level shine, but for now I decided to leave the top-clamp at that.

Top Clamp Clean Up

Top Clamp Clean Up

While the top-nuts were all out I decided to polish those up and before long I had the top-clamp and accompanying top-nuts all tidied up a great deal.

Triple Clamp Parts Cleaned Up

Triple Clamp Parts Cleaned Up

I decided to throw the parts back on the forks for the time being so as to prevent myself from losing them (as I inevitably do!) and to get a better idea of how the top-clamp will look moving forward.

Cleaner Looking Triple Clamp

Cleaner Looking Triple Clamp

For shits’n’giggles, I took a photo of the freshly painted black risers in their approximate mounting positions to see how the combination of polished metal and satin black would look – so far, I like what I see. That said, I have a completely different, brand new steering-stem top-nut coming with my MotorWorks order; so the appearance of the current steering-stem top-bolt isn’t really important.

Triple Clamp Mock-Up

Triple Clamp Mock-Up

Very soon I’ll be removing the heads and drive-shaft/transmission in preparation for the motor’s removal from the frame. I’ve decided to go for a satin black finish on most of the motor (I blame Tony Todorovski’s incredible 1986 BMW R65).

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on RedditPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Comments